Periodontic treatment keeps your gums and teeth healthy and functional.
Periodontics is the study of supporting structures of teeth, and the diseases and conditions that affect these structures. Periodontics can reveal serious oral health conditions such as gum diseases such as receding gums, exposed roots, and tooth grinding. Our periodontal experts strive to detect periodontal disease early and treat initial lesions before they become more serious and require more extensive treatment. Early exams and regular checkups are essential. Periodontal disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss. Our practice leads in the treatment and prevention of all forms of periodontal disease, gum disease, receding gums, and related disorders.
Periodontics Services Include:
Scaling and Root Planing
- Scaling and root planing is the most common and conservative form of treatment for periodontal disease, aka gum disease. It is also often referred to as “deep cleaning."
- Scaling is the removal of calculus (tartar) and plaque that is attached to the tooth surface. It specifically targets the area below the gum line, along the root, which is often difficult to clean using normal means like brushing and flossing, especially if periodontic disease is advanced. Gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss, and this treatment can help preserve teeth and keep them healthy for years to come.
- Osseous surgery strengthens the bones that support your teeth when they are worn down by periodontal disease. This is usually done when the health of your gums and teeth do not improve after non-surgical treatments like scaling and root planing.
Gum Graft Treatment
- Gum graft treatment aims to cover areas of teeth that become exposed due to gum recession. This periodontic procedure is not done just for cosmetic reasons. Keeping your roots well-covered with health gum tissue is essential to overall oral health. We cover exposed surfaces surface with artificial organically modified gum tissue. This treatment aids in the prevention of further root exposure and decreases or eliminates tooth sensitivity.
- Bone graft surgery can be performed along with osseous surgery. This surgery is used for local bone replacement due to periodontal inflammation and bone loss.
- Arestin is an antibiotic powder that is placed inside infected periodontal pockets soon after scaling and root planning is done. Over time, the Arestin is released into the infected pocket, killing the bacteria that cause periodontal disease.
- In addition to periodontic treatment, we offer Zoom! Teeth Whitening to give you a more pleasing smile. Teeth whitening makes your smile brighter, giving you the confidence you need to show off your beautiful smile. Click here for more information about teeth whitening.
We speak English, Russian and Spanish
215 5th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215
Existing Patients: (718) 789-2400
New Patients: (718) 690-3297